Makes 2 dozen - Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
- 9 strips bacon (cooked; coarsely chopped; reserve bacon fat)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) smooth, natural peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) bourbon or vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) dark chocolate, chopped
(*for GF, use all-purpose GF flour + 1/4 tsp xanthan gum per cup of flour)
Directions for cookies:
- Cook bacon until crisp, reserve bacon fat. Note: Reserve 1/4 of bacon for garnish.
- Sift together flour & baking soda, set aside.
- Using stand mixer with paddle attachment: cream together butter and sugars at medium speed for ~ 5 mins.
- Stir in peanut butter, salt, egg, bourbon, bacon and 2 tbsp (30 ml) of reserved bacon fat until well incorporated.
- Add flour mixture & mix until incorporated.
- Form 1 tbsp (15 ml) size balls of dough & place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten each slightly with hand.
- Bake until starting to brown around edge (about 10 minutes), rotating pan half way through cooking time.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet and transfer to to wire rack for cooling.
Directions for topping:
- Melt chocolate in heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally (make sure bottom of bowl does not touch water). When chocolate is smooth, remove from heat.
- Place piece of parchment under the wire rack & cookies, drizzle chocolate over cookies. Garnish with reserved bacon bits.
Store in refrigerator (if there are any left overs).
Pairs With (according to Taste Magazine):
Knob Creek 9-Year-Old Small Batch Bourbon (USA)
Chocolat Rouge Sweet Red Wine (USA)
Source: www.bcliquorstores.com Taste Magazine Winter 2012 Issue (page 156)